Specialized Rehabilitation for Amputation
Amputation – the removal of a limb – is generally reserved as a surgical last resort, when saving a life takes precedent over saving the limb. Amputation may also be prescribed when recovery is unlikely due to damage.
Amputation can result from accident, injury or disease. For the best outcome and prognosis, the amputee needs specialized help in adapting and returning to a normal life.
How rehabilitation can make a difference
Our hospital offers pre-and-post prosthetic rehabilitation tailored to the individual needs of the patient. Recovery may include all or a combination of the following:
- Physical therapy to strengthen surviving muscles and retrain them for movement and walking
- Occupational therapy for upper body strength and improved skills
- Therapy specific to training for everyday prosthetic (artificial limbs) usage
- Counseling services to help patients adjust to the emotional challenges a new amputee faces
- Prosthetist for custom fabrication, fitting and training with the patient’s custom made prosthesis
By demonstrating compliance with The Joint Commission’s national standards for healthcare quality and safety, our hospital is accredited by The Joint Commission.
Read More »
See Our Hospital
Join us for a virtual tour of our hospital where you will see our patient rooms, exercise facilities, and more. You can also set up a personal tour by calling our hospital.
Learn more »
Nobody thought I would make it, but, HealthSouth knew I could. They took me aside-made me feel special-and told me I could do it.
Other patient testimonials »